Democracy is not a system that can be transferred or imported. It can manifest only if it germinates and takes root. In order to have a thorough democratic function, each country needs to absorb democracy into its traditions, politics and its socio-economic situation. Democracy cannot be reduced only to a legal framework measuring only civil and political rights. The purpose of democracy is to empower every citizen to have a better living through the full improvement of economic, social and cultural rights.
Therefore for democracy to take effect, the citizens of the country must be knowledgeable of the laws governing them and they must have access to it and there must be an independent and mature judiciary system. There must also be freedom of expression through a mature and responsible press. The citizens must have the right to cautiously express themselves if they feel ambiguous of a situation; this means you have the right to say what you want to say but you will be responsible for any outcome of your action. Democracy is a system of government in which decision making is reached with the consent of the majority of the citizens but respecting the views of the minorities.
Elections are not the start nor the end to a democratic system of governance. Elections are just one of the systems through which citizens decide to change the leadership of a state. And in order to reach to the peak of a democratic state, citizens need to build up the sense of nationalism, sense of belonging, social cohesion, and strong and independent political party system. Political parties need to be institutionalized, managed and controlled by people with vision.
Though election is very cardinal to building democratic institution but the outcome of an election does not guaranteed democracy instead legitimacy after election is one of the core pillar to measuring democracy. Legitimacy is the medium through which elected officials make sure that citizens are harness and willing to drive their leadership project.
A successful government is responsive and accessible to its citizens. Democracy is a very big tree that provides a huge protection which encompasses; regular elections, freedom of speech, freedom of movement, access to quality education, access to quality and affordable health care system, equal security for all, equal justice for all, etc. And in-order for this tree to continue flourishing, the following chemical must be mixed and put into use simultaneously.
The chemicals include but not limited to:
- Responsibility-people must always take charge of what they do under the practice and principles of democracy and good governance. Democracy doesn’t feed on speculation; if you have no proof, don’t make it public as the principles of democracy will force you to provide convincing evidence.
- Transparency-the doctrine of democracy says “for the people and by the people” hence the people must be aware of what you do for them.
- Accountability-give to the people what is for the people
- Respecting the rule of laws-this served as light to guide our path in the exercise of democratic doctrine and as such should be observed
- Answerability-you must be ready to answer for what you do. Telling the people the reasons for doing what you do is one of the major pillars that helps to do away with doubt.